Dirt Floor

Old 01-18-01, 01:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a dirt floor in what could be a very nice basement room. I know a little about masonry, but not enough to be confident. How deep should I dig the floor down, how much gravel, should I put expansion joint between the floor and existing walls, is there an easier way to make this room usable? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-01, 09:35 PM
Before pulling the trigger try a little research at http:\\www.concretenetwork.com Slabs on grade, basements, types of joints & placement, moisture problems, ect.. You may find content and a cheap book or two that will answer your questions, plus ones that you're not asking also.

JacktheContractor (moderates the basement forum on this site) knows basements inside out, upside down, sideways, and backwards (maybe in his sleep). He would be the main person to ask for clarification of various points.

Old 01-19-01, 04:02 AM
Visiting Guest
personally,I would'nt ask jack the contractor what time it was.It would'nt matter if forty people all said it was noon, his watch would say seventhirty and he would be right.I have gotten to where when i see his name I skip over that forum even if it is something I am interested in.Just a thought jack,maybe you are not the only one who knows [email protected]

Old 01-19-01, 09:41 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
You're talking about a pretty involved project, considering the systems likely to reside in your basement and the considerations involving moisture and drainage handling...

If it were me, I would get a professional to supervise the job and do the design and permit work and I (and some healthy friends) would provide the sweat equity.....

I would feel very comfortable digging, forming, laying re-mesh and bar and pouring and finishing a slab.....but designing for loads, drainage, proper moisture control and ventilation needed to turn this space into something one could live in (or put a killer wood shop in *G*)....? Sometimes it's good to ask (and pay) for professional help...

IMO, this is one of them...

Pat