Sealing Brick around windows and Expansion Cracks

Old 05-20-12, 07:44 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing Brick around windows and Expansion Cracks

I sit on a condo board and we are in need of having somone come out and do some TLC on 16 buildings. Specifically we need sealing around windows and brick and the vertical expansion gaps (cracks) to be redone.

My question is: What is the correct product for this? Surely not the 1.50 tube of caulk from the hardware store?

Thanks

Old 05-20-12, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
There are many brands of expansion sealant... some are marketed for homeowners, others for contractors, still others are more industrial/commercial in nature. The answer you get here will probably vary depending on the skill set of the person who answers, and his preference.

Personally, I would recommend Sonneborn NP1, since it is the brand sold at our local concrete company, for use in expansion joints.

But joint preparation is probably just as important as the type of sealant selected. The joint must be clean, free of dirt and old sealant. Most expansion joints should be backed with foam backer rod which allows the sealant to stretch and bond only to the two adjacent surfaces, allowing them to move independently.

Old 05-21-12, 06:09 AM
D
Thanks for your response to this question

Old 06-08-12, 01:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
the NP-1 is a good product and works in almost all of the instances you are looking at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: