How Do I Fill This Hole ?

Old 05-26-12, 07:24 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How Do I Fill This Hole ?

This hole on the patio had a huge water fountain; which I gave away on Craigs List. Now I need to fill in the hole. I threw bricks and misc. stuff in the hole to fill it. But, my puppy keeps bringing anything he can find in the hole inside the house. I want to lay some type of pavers or bricks on the top to make it look nice & put a picnic table here. Any advice ?

Attached Images  
Old 05-26-12, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Fill it in with dirt like class 5. Compact it. Put a layer of bedding sand and lay your pavers so they are slightly higher then the surrounding brick. Then compact them down to the level of the surrounding bricks

Old 05-26-12, 09:33 AM
D
Thanks for your help !

I am a woman, so I don't know what Class 5 dirt is.....but, I will find out. Can I buy this dirt at Lowe's; even though I will need many bags.

Old 05-26-12, 09:49 AM
D
I figure I am going to have to drill holes in the bottom of the concrete or break it somehow or it will fill up with water, as it does now.

Old 05-26-12, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes...you'll need to drill or break some holes in the bottom....probably quite a few. Then lay some landscape fabric in there to keep the holes from filling or soil washing out.

Class 5 is basically a driveway mix of gravel and sand that can be compacted.....Product Details You can buy something similar in bags...but it would take quite a few. Would you be able to have some delivered and then transfer it by wheelbarrow? It would probably take at least a small pickup truck full.

Hey! I just saw your location! I grew up about 10 miles away from you. On a farm outside Casstown. Haven't been back in almost 20 yrs, since the last family funeral. First time I was ever stopped by police was in Tipp...lol.

Old 05-26-12, 10:01 PM
D
Thanks for Your Help !

Thanks for your help. I will find out who delivers that fill #5 ....I will use the advice I learned here and get it filled in. That is so neat that you used to be from this area !!! Your climate where you are now if much better than here.

Old 05-28-12, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First things first--the puppy needs to be educated to prevent him/her from dragging things into the house. Sure is a cute little bugger, though.

Regarding your problem, wouldn't simply removing the fountain liner be a lot simpler than drilling a lot of holes and/or breaking it up? On second thought, that could possibly loosen the adjacent pavers, which you definitely don't want to do. I'd be tempted to pour concrete, giving it an exposed aggregate finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: