Grinder recommendations with dust collection capabilities

Old 05-31-12, 08:22 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grinder recommendations with dust collection capabilities

Hello all,

I am working on repointing my 100+ year old rowhouse foundation made of brick and fieldstone. Some years ago, someone did a sloppy job with a Portland mortar. It's shrinking away from the brick and stone and causing minor damage, so I'm removing it and replacing with a non-Portland lime mortar to prevent further deterioration.

Anyway, the mortar removal takes forever by hand. I will die before I finish this if I do it all by hand, and I'm only 30. I want to use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to make the job a little faster, but I'm concerned about dust. I want something that I can hook up to my dust collector and catch as much of the dust as possible, since there is some stuff in my basement and I can't remove it every time I want to work on this project. I know there is a Bosch tuckpoint grinder on the market, but it's expensive and I'd like to get a grinder with more versatility, if possible.

So, does anyone have a solution? I saw this bosch grinder that comes with a dust shroud on amazon, but I have no idea if it'd work well: Amazon.com: Bosch 18DC-4K 4-1/2-Inch 7.5 Amp Concrete Cutting Kit: Home Improvement

Old 05-31-12, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I would think that would work fine. Nice that the base has a depth adjustment on it. You'll need to make sure you use the right filter on your vac as well as a respirator for yourself. You're still going to get some dust that doesn't get sucked up. You'll need to cover what's down there and seal off any return vent for the heat-A/C. I'd also seal off the basement from the rest of the house and do something to make a negative pressure in the basement and vent it to the exterior.

Old 05-31-12, 12:02 PM
A
That seems like a good plan. I was going to seal off the areas I was working as I went along and wear a respirator anyway. My vac has the HEPA filter and a filter bag. It takes care of sawdust really well, so I think it's set for this job. I have a blower but I don't know if it's strong enough to reverse the pressure in my basement... maybe if I turn the HVAC system fans on and cover the returns? There's also only one window in my basement, so that might help, too.

Old 06-05-12, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd be tempted to go the cheap route myself--temporarily install a high-speed box fan directly in front of the open window, and another one just upstream of your grinding operations. Having a replacement air inlet also helps (like cracking a door at the top of the basement stairs). I've done a lot of concrete/mortar/grout grinding using the foregoing in the last 30+ years, and managed to effectively remove the vast majority of fines floating through the air. Cheap and easy.

Old 06-06-12, 04:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
Have someone hold a garden hose for you with one of those nozzles that adjusts by turning the collar. A fine mist is all that would be needed to knock down 95% of the dust. Make sure your extension cord has no frays, is grounded, and as OSHA recommends, cords should always be plugged into GFCI outlets. A shop vac and floor squeegee will clean up the excess water.

Old 06-06-12, 06:51 AM
A
Well, I have some time to consider all these options. On Thursday, I got hit by a car while riding my bike and broke my collarbone. It will be impossible to hold a grinder for the next 6-10 weeks...

Old 06-06-12, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your bike accident. Ouch hurts. Hope you heal well.

Who was at fault in the accident?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: