Retaining wall on carport

Old 06-06-12, 10:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retaining wall on carport

I need some advice on the retaining wall holding up my carport, it is pretty visibly cracked and shifting. The outer side is holding up a sloping yard that goes up to the height of the brick. Any advice would be appreciated, especially in terms of questions to ask, cost, how long it would potentially survive not getting fixed etc... I will gladly provide additional pictures and answer questions if it would help.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

Old 06-06-12, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Those are not "bricks", but concrete block (probably 8" thick and possibly 18" long), but they could have some reinforcement in them. Apparently, the block were somehow and attached to the slab, that could cause cracks parallel to the wall. At least, it seems the wall did not slide in.

Wall is bending in because of the very evident moisture that increases the load on the wall. Drainage will help prolong the life of the wall. The wall cannot be straightened without excessive cost.

As far as more pictures, the only ones you could provide would be of the general area. You will not be able to too provide much more, since it will be tough to determine what is in the wall and how it was built.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: