Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Restoring / cleaning brick house, tools to use to remove caulk, paint overspray

Old 06-14-12, 05:05 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have an old brick house from 1956, multicolored blend of light yellow, beige and senna bricks with 'sand' colored mortar. Through the years various owners have messed it up in various ways, not taking care when painting siding and ending up over spraying paint on the brick, filling in a 2 x 2 foot whole that used to have a window AC unit in that place, using matching bricks but a dark gray mortar . Some object has been on the side of the wall at some point leaving hard caulk lines...you get the picture.

I want to clean things up, wash the brick, re-point the bricks where needed with matching mortar. I tested with a wire brush to see if any of the old paint or caulk would budge - not a chance - so I realized I need find out what tools and cleaners to use for this kind of project. I have a lot of patience and will take my time, but having the right tools & cleaners for the job is crucial - I just don't know what they are.

Appreciate any guidance you can give.

Old 06-15-12, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
Hopefully all the errant paint is latex. Products like 'goof off' and 'oops' do a good job of removing latex coatings. Oil base paint will be more difficult to remove - I'd try lacquer thinner or maybe even paint and varnish remover. Overspray may be more challenging that paint drips

Pressure washing along with solvents to soften the overspray will work but you need to make sure you don't damage the brick in the process. If PWing isn't an option, plan on using lots of elbow grease

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: