Anchoring a gate hinge pin in block wall

Old 06-17-12, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Anchoring a gate hinge pin in block wall

Another repair project at the gym.

You know the L shaped "bolt" that the hinges of the chain link fence gates sit over? Well one has rusted and broken off. Someone tried to weld it in the past, but that didn't work.

I'll need to drill a hole a few inches away and anchor a new one. I already have some that might work from a gate that was taken down at my house, but they are threaded. I don't think the originals were. I'm guessing they were anchored in mortar kinda like an L bolt for a house foundation.

If I use mine I'll have about 2 1/2" embedded since they were used on steel posts.

Should I try to find something longer and should I use an epoxy or mortar to anchor them? I was thinking epoxy since I'll only have about a 5/8" hole?

It won't get much use, we'd just like to be able to secure the back area of the building.

Thanks

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-17-12 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-12, 11:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My only concern is once the bolt enters the void of the block, it will not have holding power in anything. Are the blocks solid with a pour inside them? If so, I would use the epoxy.

Old 06-17-12, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
I would guess they are solid (at least what I'm drilling) since it's a 6' wall that runs along the alley behind the gym and the old fire station. It's a drive through gate (2 5' sections) so I'd guess they are either sold block or at least filled.

This is another of those "gotta start the job before I know what I'm gonna do", I guess.

Old 06-17-12, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You and Pelosi I didn't mean that!!!!

Old 06-17-12, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
LOL....I was referencing the door project in the same building. Not the "pass it to know what's in it" thing.