Forgot expansion joint in driveway

Old 06-20-12, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forgot expansion joint in driveway

All,

I recently had a driveway pad poured. They actually came out today and poured, I was on the road trying to get home asap but didn't get back in time. My dad was here "surpervising".

Anyway, long story short, I talked to the contractor about making sure he put the expansion joint material in where the driveway pad hits the garage foundation.

He said he had enough material that I didn't need the concrete company to bring it on the truck. Well, he forgot to put it in. By the time I got back they were already brushing everything and my dad didn't know we needed the expansion material.

So, .... is there a way to fix this. I have control joints every 7' done with a concrete saw, ....will this be enough to deal with expansion?

Can i put a deep cut along the garage wall....will this work? Will I have to cut the whole way through the concrete?

I have read a bunch, and I read a couple places that control (or contraction joints) will also address expansion...but I just don't know.

Anyone have any info or ideas?

btw, the pad is 35' x 28'

Thanks!

Jesse

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-12, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Control joints are more about contraction (controlling where the slab cracks) than they are about expansion. At this point, cutting the driveway-garage joint with a diamond chainsaw would be better than nothing. They are very easy to use. Just hook a garden hose up to it and plunge cut and drag. Is there any expansion joint where the driveway abuts the street?

Old 06-20-12, 09:28 PM
The driveway only abuts to the garage, the backend is free. I'm actually 600 feet off the street, so on three sides of the driveway I touch only grass.

Should the cut along the garage be deeper than 1/4 depth?

Thanks for the reply

Old 06-20-12, 10:40 PM
If the pad is open on 3 sides, and only 28' deep (or even 35' deep), I don't think you need to cut a joint adjacent to the garage to accommodate expansion. Concrete slabs like to move in a direction where there is the least resistance--in your case, towards the street. That being said, you may still want to cut an expansion joint in adjacent to the garage, because the new slab will tend to frost heave in the winter, while the garage slab/foundation (being supported by footings below the frost line), remains stationary. I realize you are in Florida, so the likelihood of freezing is minimal, but not impossible. After a year or two, you can expect to see small surface spalls at the interface between the new slab and garage slab, caused by differential vertical movement between the two surfaces. More often than not, the spalls will occur in the newest concrete, as it won't have the strength that the older garage slab has. They will be small at first, but can actually develop into significant deterioration over time. And trust me on this one, I'm not dreaming this scenario up--I've seen it happen literally dozens of times over the last 40+ years that I've been working with or inspecting concrete structures.

It should not be your (or your Dad's) responsibility to perform quality control for any work you contract out for. Check the fine print in the contract you signed with Mr. Amateur Concrete Guy (there's absolutely no excuse for this to happen, if he knew what he was doing)--if expansion filler or felt is specified, and he didn't install it, he owes you. Either for the cost of full-depth sawcutting and installing a durable joint filler/bond breaker, or for removing and replacing a 2'-wide run with new concrete having joint filler properly installed at the garage interface.

Old 06-21-12, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
yes, all the way through. Then push some foam backer rod into the kerf and caulk with an expansion joint sealant. Or make your contractor do it like he should have... like bridgeman says, this really shouldn't be your responsibility.

Old 06-21-12, 07:39 AM
thanks for the replies.

the contractor is there right now working on some other things and has his saw. The problem is, the way that driveway pad meets the garage, cutting there will be difficult because of the vinyl siding, trim, etc....it won't allow for a straight cut across.

However, 7 feet out is the first control joint saw cut. I'm wondering if you think it would be okay if I took that first cut 7 feet off the garage, which runs the whole width of the drivway, and make that the expansion cut. Since trying to do it at the garage just won't work given all the trim, etc.

I guess the fear with that option is that where that cut is, the two slabs could vertically change and there could potentially be a ridge?