Flagstones and mortar

Old 06-29-12, 02:05 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flagstones and mortar

I recently bought a house that had some beautiful flagstone work done so that they created a walkable path all around the house. Now the stones are coming up and the mortar? (not sure what they used to do this) is coming apart. So now it looks horrible. What can i do, is there a guide for dummy's? Basically i want to redo the broken pieces so that the whole thing looks good again. Ideas?

Old 06-29-12, 03:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
How 'bout posting a few pictures so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-30-12, 02:22 PM
O
Pics of broken stuff

These are the pics guys, what you think?

Attached Images   
Old 07-01-12, 02:03 PM
T
That looks a complete mess - a typical cosmetic job someone does just before they sell a house so that it looks OK for just long enough to sell it.
Its an attempt (and a poor one) at "crazy paving".
The top soil should be removed, at least for a few inches, and a bed of coarse sand laid, well-compacted. The stones are firmly bedded by putting a little extra sand under them, and then tamping them level with a mallet; pointing done in 1:3 OPC:sand mortar with a plasticiser.
It's hard work and properly fitting the stones can drive you nuts but is worth it in the end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: