How to keep buried wood posts from rotting

Old 06-23-12, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to keep buried wood posts from rotting

My wife wants a fence around the garden made out of wood pickets. She doesn't want to paint/ stain etc the wood so it weathers and looks old in a few years. She wants the posts to match the rest of the fence. The problem is if I bury the woods post I have that aren't treated, they will rot. If I use pressure treated, they won't match the rest of the fence.

I thought about pouring concrete into sonotubes and putting a bracket on the top to attach the fence post to, but I have heard that will be a weak point that will eventually fail.

How do i build a sturdy fence that all the materials match and i don't have to worry about rot or failure?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Place the bottoms of your untreated posts (as well as the bottoms of all of the pickets) in a bucket of copper napthanate for an hour or two. Let them drain and dry for a few days before burying them in the ground. Properly diluted (with stoddard solvent) copper napthanate is a translucent green in color, but it fades out to weathered brown in a year or two.

Old 06-23-12, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I'd go ahead and use PT posts, maybe for the pickets too. You can buy a bleaching oil stain that helps to give wood a weathered look. I haven't used any in yrs but your local paint store [not paint dept] should be able to help you.

btw - welcome to the forums!