brick driveway edging

Old 06-25-12, 10:53 AM
brick driveway edging

i am thinking of making brick driveway edging... kind of like this one

I searched and only came up with the basic how-to: dig, level, pour concrete, set brick, sweep sand.
Besides those general steps, anybody here have any other tips/advice on making sure the bricks are nice and flush with the concrete driveway?
(ie Should I mortar in between bricks? Do I need some sort of landscape edging? How do I keep grass from growing in between bricks?)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-12, 01:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dig, level, install small gravel base, tamp it solid, sand, set brick, sweep and sand. No concrete. The bricks are you landscape edging. Keep grass at bay with RoundUp.

Old 06-25-12, 08:53 PM
hmm... well i know patios are gravel+sand base but I figured driveway edging would be concrete because it would be easier to make it perfectly flush with the driveway and more solid base in case you drive over the edging?

are there pros and cons to both or is gravel+sand base the only/best option?

Old 06-26-12, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
You do not use a concrete base with pavers, you use the compacted base + bedding sanding method regardless of the application.

Old 06-26-12, 09:34 AM
gotcha.. i guess i can use mortar to joint the bricks together then?

Old 06-26-12, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Nope - paver/polymeric sand goes between the joints.

Sorry, just realized I missed one question from your original post - yes, I would stake metal landscape edging against the outside of the pavers to keep them from migrating away from the driveway.

Old 07-19-14, 09:27 AM
What if it is a sidewalk?

OK. So only in sand if next to an asphalt driveway. What if I want to edge a concrete sidewalk? Do I then put the bricks in concrete? (And I have bricks, not pavers, too good of a deal to pass up on those).

We are going to edge a sidewalk, but put a gap (say 4") between the brick and the sidewalk and fill that gap with decorative stone (loose) for an interesting look. I can't see one row of brick staying on compacted sand with an intentional gap.... so I am thinking concrete. Brick and existing sidewalk edge making a "trough" for the stone.

But the biggest question I have is between the bricks.... If I sweep sand in this application then come along in 6 mos with a pressure washer, won't I lose the sand?

Old 07-20-14, 10:28 AM
I've used mortared bricks, installed on shallow concrete ribbon footings, as edging for lawns, sidewalks, and several concrete patios. None of the installations ever developed loose bricks, despite being located in freeze-thaw climates and surviving multiple smacks with power lawn mowers/tractors. I wouldn't hesitate to use the same process for driveway edgings, where tire loads would be likely to displace bricks set on gravel and sand.

Old 07-21-14, 04:45 AM
The guy at the local hardware mart said mortar for the bed. So I have a ribbon, as you call it, of mortar instead of concrete. BridgeMan45 - how THICK did you make your ribbon? Also, we have the first edge done. It's a lot of work :-) Some things that helped .... I made a "bed board" by nailing a piece of 3/4" plywood to a 2x4. Purpose - set the 2x4 on the sidewalk and the plywood is a template for the excavation so we know when we have dug enough. We did PAST this point in depth then tamp, then backfill and tamp to this depth. Second tool was a screed board. Same thing, really, except the plywood end is set at the TOP of the mortar bed to set the thickness. And a little narrower so you can screed it back and forth.

So with the "bed board" setting up the excavation, and the screed board setting the depth off we went. Thoughts so far:

MAN is my mortar bed thick. :-( Used a lot of mortar. So we took 1/2 inch of depth off of it.

I set the screed board to be 1/8" too shallow. Figuring that the bricks would "settle in" in the mortar a bit. THAT part we got exactly right. Couple of taps and the bricks are flush and level with the sidewalk.

Biggest struggle - buttering the bricks. We aren't buttering the "small end" (I don't know what a mason would call that end ...) We are buttering the "bottom" as if we were building a brick wall, but this is a wall laying on its side, so it is the side for us. The edge with the 3 holes in it ..... Problem is, the mortar didn't stick real well and we pushed a LOT of mortar into the 3 holes. Which was wasteful. Suggestions on how to do this without so much waste would be appreciated.

It's back breaking work. Especially mixing the mortar by hand and hauling it. But no more so than any paver block job.