Building my own concrete block fencel, question regarding water main

Old 06-27-12, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building my own concrete block fencel, question regarding water main

Hi,

I am building my own concrete block fence in my front yard. The block wall will only be 24" above grade, with 12' wood detail above that.

I've dug down 18" (live in California) for the footing, but I've run into my water main which runs perpindicular to the trench I've dug for the footing. When I pour the concrete, what should I do with the water main. It's copper, looks like 1 1/2". Should I shield it from the concrete? Or do I pour concrete all around it? It seems like shielding it somehow would be preferred? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-12, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Contact your water supplier (city, water association, etc.), and find out from them what their specific requirements are. Even if the meter and shut-off are at the curb, they will have restrictions as to what you can do to the lateral. They will either want it encased in a larger pipe of some sort, or possibly even wrapped and heavily taped with dense foam. Pouring footing concrete (or any concrete, for that matter) directly around pipes of any kind is never a good idea, as any settlement of the concrete over time can cause damage to the pipe, and result in some hefty expenses and inconvenience to correct the matter.