Concrete porch with residual glue/leveling compound- need to grind it smooth

Old 07-15-12, 08:35 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete porch with residual glue/leveling compound- need to grind it smooth

I have a ~400sq. ft. back concrete porch. They had outdoor green carpet (I know...) all over it. The carpet cameup but there is a lot of glue left. In some areas it appeared they used some leveling compound (which is partially popping up). I want to level it out and make it look like just plan nice white concrete- I might stain it later. I went to sunbelt and they rented me a floor grinder with a carbide disc- after 30 minutes in different areas it smoothed it some, but didn't even remove all the glue stuff. On a previous home I had used a ~7" floor grinder/vacumm setup to knock down thinset- would something like that work? I see they have large machines for this, but not sure if I could use something like that. Would be lots of on the knees manual work with the floor grinder but I'll do it if necessary...

Old 07-15-12, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Before killing my knees with a hand angle grinder, I'd give very serious thought to a few other options. Renting a walk-behind floor sander with extremely hard abrasive belts, possibly just sand-blasting the entire surface (uniform texture, not too deep), or even bringing in a skilled hand with a hydrodemolition machine. A robotic unit with operator could do your entire porch in a few hours. Last job I sought quotes on a few years ago here in central Oregon was going for $2.50 per S.F., but that was for 1/4" deep scarification on a bridge deck. Since you only need a brush-off with a fan tip, your unit price should be less (although maybe a wash by paying a small-quantity penalty).

Old 08-08-12, 09:47 AM
S
check to see if your local rental yard has a terrazzo grinder.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2501[/ATTACH]
[h=3][/h]

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-12, 10:14 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've used a floor buffer with an abrasive disk to remove cutback adhesive. Rental was reasonable and the rental company sold the discs for that purpose.

Old 08-25-12, 09:54 AM
W
ok I ended up finding a 'diamabrush' mastic removal tool which mounts on a floor polisher at the HD rental area. Still didn't work as well as I'd planned (I think the concrete has some irregularities) but did 85% of the job for me while I was standing up. The last 15% of the job I did last night (need some touchups still) with a 7' angle grinder and diamond wheel on my hands and knees. I'm in agony today

Looks pretty good, but stil some streak marks. I might got for a more solid stain rather than a semi-translucent stain to hide imperfections. I though about doing a skim coat but that seems somewhat tricky.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: