What kind of concrete do I put on my driveway?

Old 07-17-12, 07:21 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What kind of concrete do I put on my driveway?

Hi, hoping for help. I have a 30 year old driveway. It's solid, but some of the top of it is badly chipped or "pocked". There are some cracks. I'd like to resurface it. edit: top coming off on some of it, but underneath solid.

I saw lots of videos and such, but I still don't know what to buy. I believe I need epoxy of some sort, concrete, boards for the side, and a board to mash the concreted down. Then I use the concrete broom.

Okay, yeah, it sounds like I need to hire someone, but I can't and am not. No offense to y'all who really know what you're doing. I know it isn't easy to do or attain your skill-set of many years.

I just can't pay you, and I'd like to learn something.

Thanks for help.

Old 07-17-12, 08:06 PM
P
It's not epoxy, you don't need boards on the side, you don't need anything to smash anything down, and overlays will not repair cracks. Other than those minor points, you're right about everything else.
The simplest thing for you to do is to go to Lowes, buy some quikrete resurfacer, READ THE DIRECTIONS and follow them to a T! This is especially true of the surface prep directions and mixing directions.
There are a ton of concrete resurfacers out there, but most are for professional use and would only be sold through a true contractor's supply outlet. DIY'ers can get similar but usually slightly inferior products at the big box stores. The quikrete resurfacer should be fine for what you're doing. Good luck.

Old 07-18-12, 01:44 PM
I
I appreciate your response, but I looked this up, and I can't find anything good about it. Everything I read is that it is junk. Is there anything else I should use?

Old 07-18-12, 01:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Pecos knows his concrete - the product is ok as long as you follow the directions, which is why he put that in all capital letters.

Old 07-18-12, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you properly sound the entire driveway, followed by removing all deleterious portions down to solid concrete, you may find that you need to overlay the entire surface. Doing spot repairs one bag at a time could well result in a series of lumpy patches, instead of a uniform, smooth surface that you'd like to have.

Using ready-mix concrete for constructing a complete overlay would work best, as it will provide a uniform product that will perform well. Specify at least a 6-sack mix when ordering the mud, and don't forget entrained air. It's a bit more than a one-person project, so you'll need some of your buddies to help you. You can go as thin as an inch-and-a-half, striking it off from forms set to finished grade on each side. Use a proper bonding agent, and install plenty of control joints. Matching grade at either end (garage and/or street) can be accomplished by removing at least 1.5" of the existing concrete adjacent to the members being grade-matched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: