Epoxy to smooth & seal concrete threshold?

Old 07-19-12, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Epoxy to smooth & seal concrete threshold?

I just replaced the storm door on my vacation cabin and everything went fine until time to attach the adjustable sweep on the bottom of the door. With the door frame all the way up against the head jamb there's no room for the sweep--it scrapes the concrete threshold. For now I left it without the sweep and it looks & operates great but I would prefer to have the rubber seal in there to keep spiders from always making a home between the doors. If I can't raise the door or cut the door can I grind the concrete down a 1/4" & maybe brush on an epoxy so the rubber seal drags across it nice & makes a good seal? Is there a proper wheel to use in my 4 1/2" grinder to do this or will I need something much more powerful?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-12, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why not use an aftermarket sweep that doesn't have to encompass the case of the door. You can mount it at any height you want. Just an idea.

Old 07-19-12, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 things:
>I don't think there's enough room under the door for ANY sweep. The one included with the door is probably thinner than any aftermarket one that must be attached with screws, nails or a kerf.
>The threshold is very rough from snow melt/freeze (deck butts up to it) so a sweep will not seal completely and may even be torn by the rough concrete.

Old 07-20-12, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
While the threshold may need grinding to smooth it out, will the door close without a sweep attached at present time? If so a flat mount threshold can be mounted to where it just passes the threshold. Your grinder, if you have a masonry or tile blade, would perform the job you want just fine.