Standard Brick Sizes

Old 07-19-12, 07:43 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard Brick Sizes

I need to rebuild my brick chimney but can't find the right brick size. The existing bricks are 8 x 2 1/4 x 3 5/8. The closest brick retailer is 1.5 hours away and they guy there says its hard to find 8" bricks. Most bricks are 'modular', being only 7 5/8 long.

My Chimney is 2 x 2.5 bricks and measures 17"x 21.5"with approx. 3/4 inch joints. I am rebuilding from the roof line up because the bricks are spalling.

Are 8" brick really hard to find? Anyone have any ideas of how I can stick with the same chimney dimensions with more readily available brick?

Old 07-20-12, 07:28 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your title says it all. You need a standard brick and not a modular brick. Standards are a full 8" and not 7 5/8". The problem is that a lot of brick plants only run standards as a special order and they often have a minimum quantity requirement. I would look into Belden Brick Co. because I believe they still run standards regularly and they can probably tell you were you can find a supplier in your area.

Old 07-20-12, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Check with building salvage companies or anyone you can think of that may have old building supplies. You can also look online for antique or reclaimed bricks. There are many companies that stock and sell antique and odd bricks, though shipping could get expensive.

I have a bunch of rental property and am always saving bricks because of the difficulty finding replacements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: