Adding a Handrail to My Front Porch

Old 07-24-12, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a Handrail to My Front Porch

What would be a good way to add a handrail to the wall around my front porch? Please see photo attached. Rail could be in two pieces (one for each wall). I could mount a 2-inch wooden rail on a 2x6 that I would attach to the walls, or I could mount SS 2-inch round tubing directly to the walls. The hand rail must be able to support up to a 250-lb adult who might slip on the steps and grab the rail. Any ideas?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Have you given consideration to installing a 48" handicap tube rail? It can be firmly attached to the brick and give adequate support, just as it would in a shower. It is stainless so it would not rust.

Old 07-25-12, 07:00 PM
Never heard of that. I'll google it a bit later, but that may just be what I need. Something simple.

Old 07-25-12, 07:32 PM
Is the purpose of the proposed railing to provide a decorative effect? I'm at a loss to come up with any other reasons for it. Certainly the brickwork doesn't need protection from unwanted fingerprints, does it?

Old 07-26-12, 06:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
BridgeMan,
The hand rail must be able to support up to a 250-lb adult who might slip on the steps and grab the rail.

Old 07-26-12, 09:23 AM
marksr--not so fast.

His first post said "rail could be in 2 pieces, one for each wall." His mentioning being able to support a 250-lb. adult is a reference to the ADA requirement for ramp and stairway handrailing requirements, but it doesn't address the the large proportion of stairway area leading up to the landing, which would have no railing. A more practical solution if he wants to address potential step hazards would be to have several free-standing, inclined handrails perpendicular to the steps out where normal foot traffic would be expected, but he didn't say that--he specifically implied wanting one along the rear wall (with his "one for each wall" comment), where there are no steps.

Maybe he'll respond with a clarification of what he specifically hopes to accomplish (which is what I was hoping to get out of him with my initial comments).

Old 07-26-12, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I didn't understand the "fingerprints" comment, either, bridge. I think the majority of the foot traffic would be going toward the garage and a handrail on the lateral wall as well as the perpendicular garage face wall is what he was referring to. We'll wait for clarification.

Old 07-28-12, 12:32 PM
The porch ices up each winter because of snowfall, and melt (east-facing porch), and re-freeze. I want something to hold on to while walking up/down the steps and to the door. And something for the neighbors, who are somewhat "elderly" (and I am right behind them) and need a bit of stability on those steps. A person would come out the door, step down to the top of the porch, turn to the left, grab a handrail, walk to the corner, then turn to the right, grab another handrail, walk out to the steps and then down. I'd like to curve the lower handrail around that outside corner. Can't attach the railing to the steps/porch because the steps are separating from the porch (sore, very very sore subject). I've seen some photos showing a couple of ideas that I could maybe adapt to my application. My walls are full-size bricks, not veneer, but they each have 3 holes in them so I'm not sure the bricks would provide the necessary anchoring. Here are a couple of links showing what I had in mind. Somewhat, that is. Subject to the Little Lady's directions, of course http://www.eoiw.com/images/voltz_exterior_rail.jpg http://www.loudoncounty.com/ada/MVC-094S.JPG http://www.mmcva.com/mm5/graphics/00...bury%20016.jpg (Sorry about the long run-on paragraph and jammed-up URLs. Compatibility problem between Firefox and one of its extensions.)