Asphalt Driveway: to seal or not to seal?

Old 08-05-12, 05:48 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asphalt Driveway: to seal or not to seal?

Hello,

Last summer I had a new asphalt driveway put in. At the time I did not have a sealcoat put down because the paver said it was not necessary. What does everyone think? Was he right? If not, is it too late to apply a sealcoat?

Thank you very much for your help & insight.

Old 08-05-12, 06:50 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Everything I have read on the subject says to let a new asphalt driveway "age" for at least a year before putting on any seal coat.

Old 08-05-12, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Furd. Sealcoating can be done anytime after the initial cure. It can be or should be done whenever you feel the asphalt is compromised by cracks, etc.

Old 08-05-12, 06:57 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's difficult to give sealing advice without a description of why you think it might need sealing, or better yet, a picture or two showing what things look like. FWIW, my neighbor had a new asphalt driveway installed this past May, and just a week ago he began a complete sealing operation. Haven't talked to him yet about why he thought it needed it, although (at least from the street) the surface looks like it has too many voids and is quite dry.

And should you decide to seal your driveway, remember that you get what you pay for. The cheapo stuff is exactly that, and won't last more than a year or two. I bought a 55-gallon drum of commercial-grade sealant a while back, and the stuff was a breeze to apply and lasted forever (well, at least close to 10 years before starting to oxidize a bit). Worst part was that the fumes were a bit testy, and the squeegy application brooms had to be thrown away when done.

Last edited by BridgeMan45; 08-05-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 08:40 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses.

The surface has started to look a little worn. There are no cracks yet though. I was wondering if it would be better to get ahead of things and seal before any cracks develop.

Old 08-13-12, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Asphalt that is sealed when needed should last longer than asphalt that isn't. How often is dependent on how much traffic and weather the driveway sees. Every other year is probably the norm. Make sure the driveway is clean and dry before applying the sealant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: