I Want to build a shelf using bricks, need advise

Old 08-08-12, 08:45 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I Want to build a shelf using bricks, need advise

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but also to DIY.

I'm moving into a new (rented) flat and would like to build a shelf myself consisting of bricks, wine crates and a single wood self.
In my head, this is all pretty simple: I make three "legs" by piling up six bricks and fix them somehow (how? do I need to fic them at all? I guess so). Then I put the single, long wood shelf on top of them and then the wine crates go on top of the shelf. done.

Do you think this works? There are mainyl two things I worry about: a. that the construction is too heavy and I get problems with the floor holding that weight somehow and b. that the construction will be not sufficiently stable (but I guess there's something to do there). I can't fix anything to the wall though,I'm not allowed :-(

thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 08-08-12, 08:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Wow, sounds like college all over again.

How much effort do you want to put into this and how nice a finished product are you envisioning?

Old 08-08-12, 09:08 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
erm, very little effort, please and, more importantly, very little skills ;-)
It should have some kind of industrial look to it, that's at least the idea, so it really doesn't have to be perfect ;-))

Old 08-08-12, 09:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Everything we did like this in college was loose stacked - not great if someone bumps into it but I actually don't recall that ever happening.

Old 08-08-12, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What you've described will work, but it won't be very stable. Accidentally walking against it or bumping into it with the vacuum cleaner could cause it to come crashing down. With all of your precious possessions scattered all over the floor.

You would do better using double the number of "bricks" (I suspect you really mean concrete blocks, as common bricks are only 2" tall, at least in this country). Using a doubled-up pattern for each leg will make a finished brick product more stable, reversing the direction by 90 degrees of each course. If using the larger concrete blocks, that won't be necessary. Put a dab or two of adhesive between all courses to keep them tied together, and a layer of self-stick felt on the bottom units of each leg will prevent scratching/damage to your flat's floor.

Old 08-08-12, 12:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They make adhesive for landscaping blocks and that would work for this. In fact I would suggest landscape blocks intended for wall. They are solid and there therefore have a larger bearing surface when you stack them making them more stable. They come in many stiles. Check out a Lowes or Home Depot in the garden department.

I would suges a bottom board not just a top board. Perhaps a 2X12 long enough to extend about 4" past the pillars on each side. The board will better distribute the weight, protect the floor, and by gluing the blocks to the base and top much greater stability. Top can be an identical 2X12. Maybe buy a ten footer and have the lumber yard cut it in half.
Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 1989
Size:  6.9 KB
Image Source: bedrockboulders.com

Old 08-08-12, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Deja Vu. We used concrete blocks and 2x6's which fit perfectly in the block voids, with a little help, and 2x12's between the blocks. I do like Ray's idea of using landscaping blocks. At least they will lock onto each other. Only problem the shelf will tilt back to the wall too much, IMO.
Oh, to be 19 again.......Hey, Justin!!!

Old 08-08-12, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Jeez....flashbacks. A buddy and his roommate had shelves built out of empty Pabst cans and 1 x 12 boards. 3 high as I remember with a TV on top and beanbag chairs in front.

Old 08-08-12, 01:37 PM
Larry opined:
Only problem the shelf will tilt back to the wall too much, IMO.
Not following your train of thought. Use a cap stone to make it flat so why would it tilt?

Old 08-08-12, 01:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
I think Larry's talking about vertically - the blocks stack back as the go up. Yes, the top would be flat.

Old 08-08-12, 02:34 PM
Got it. Never actually worked with them but surely some stack straight?

Old 08-09-12, 06:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yep, some do but not the ones in the picture you posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: