Water infiltration behind brick wall?

Old 08-13-12, 05:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water infiltration behind brick wall?

I own a two story building with brick exterior. The building is approximately 50 years old but the brick’s joints have been repaired approximately 15 years ago.

For some reasons, I am getting water infiltration behind the brick wall when it rains and the wind pushes the rain against the building. I examined the brick, joints, window sill and head thoroughly and I cannot see where the water could penetrate.
Is it possible that old brick become pervious? Or can the joints be pervious even if they look in perfect condition? Is there a sealer that can prevent the water from penetrating? We live in Montreal, Canada and the temperature is below 32 a few months every year.

Thanks in advance for your help!

JF

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-12, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
The most common place water gets behind brick veneer is at window trim, especially on bottom where the sill meets the brick ledge. Some people leave their storm windows open which lets water behind the storm window where it sometimes rots out the corners of the sill horns, and water goes right down behind the brick veneer.

But even if there is not an obvious leak, as you noted you looked for, brick veneers are not water proof. I'd suspect your mortar is degraded in multiple places and needs to be repointed and sealed.