Removing and Sealing Bilco Door Permanently

Old 08-14-12, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing and Sealing Bilco Door Permanently

I want to get rid of a bilco door and build an egress elswhere. The bilco door is in the way of a remodeling project. What is the best way? Can I just put a steel sheet over the opening and poor 4 inches of concrete into some rebar? Do I have to back fill the hole with dirt? I would prefer not backfill with dirt. Any violations in this? Looking for some ideas here. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 01:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You have us at a disadvantage, as we cannot see what you see. You may want to post a few pictures of your situation so we can offer good advice. Most likely the Bilco is fastened to the concrete/block wall pretty securely and waterproofed substantially. Have you dug out on the outside of the door frame area to see if you can detach it from the block and waterproofing? In all probability you will need to rebuild the wall where the opening is, either by installing concrete block or pouring a monolith with properly supported forms, with rebar installed for support. The area would need to be waterproofed. Not sure why you don't want to back fill it nor if it would cause problems. The pictures will help.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-17-12, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I figured I would get rid of the stairs and use the space for a cognac or brandy cellar. The reality is that my 6ft sliding door now hangs over the bilco doors and I have to get rid of them to build a deck. I dont think I want to build over them.