Remaking Chimney Cap (aka Wash)

Old 08-15-12, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remaking Chimney Cap (aka Wash)

I am rebuilding the chimney cap to my house, and some of the plans I've seen call for using flashing to make sure water gets directed away and to prevent the cap from bonding to the brick/mortar of the chimney itself.

Questions:
1) What do I make that flashing out of? Is it something I could find at a big box retailer?

2) Can/should I use hydraulic cement? If yes, do I mix pea gravel into it for strength?

3) I also need to replace the top clay flue insert, but I have no idea where to buy one! I've had no luck at any of the hardware stores I've checked.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-12, 02:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Of course we can't see what you see, so pix of the situation sure would help us to help you. Have you considered having a chimney cap made by a metal fabricator? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-16-12, 09:06 AM
Thanks Chandler. I mistyped, I did not mean the 'cap', I meant the "crown". Right now there is nothing to take a picture of, I already moved the crown from the top of the chimney. I think getting the flashing created by a metal fabricating company is a great idea. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-23-12, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello Jonathan,
I see you are building the crown, are you in need of a chimney cap? I'd suggest a stainless steel cap because they will not rust and shed water from pooling upon the chimney.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by chandler; 08-23-12 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 08-23-12, 11:15 AM
I've replaced several deteriorated crowns, using galvanized sheet metal to build the bottom stay-in-place form. Poured them at least 4" thick (in the center, sloped downward to the edges for shedding water) with small-aggregate concrete. Made both with a cantilever lip and drip-edge to keep the runoff away from the brickwork.

Clay flue sections used to be available from places that sell brick, but may require a real search to find one today in the right size, as they aren't used any more (except in very high-end homes).