Old brick wall leaning..

Old 08-17-12, 04:55 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old brick wall leaning..

Hey guys, my old brick wall needs some attention.
I was looking at taking off the broken top stones and re pointing all the mortar
when I notices the whole wall had developed a slight lean outwards. It is and L shaped wall with the short side intact, the long side is attached to the house and has begun to lean in the middle from what I expect is just the weight as a lot of the old mortar is weather beaten and breaking away.

My first impression is that it would be stable with some tidying up and a good dollop of sand and cement. However, im interested to know if there are any techniques used to (even mildly) strengthen or brace this wall with minimal aesthetic change. Ideally something from the inside as the external side (which it is leaning towards) is a public footpath.

Cheers for any constructive advice.

Old 08-17-12, 05:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your wall should have mid span "deadmen" installed to keep it from leaning. Is there dirt behind the wall pushing on it? Is it just free standing? Your climate is probably different than we experience here in the States, so a combination of moisture and other factors could have contributed to the leaning. Can you post a couple of pictures of the wall from both angles so we can see what you see?? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-17-12, 11:04 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks mate, no there is yard on one side and footpath on the other.
I suspect it is from moisture as well but will put a couple of pictures on tomorrow when I'm back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: