6 week old patio pitting 2012

Old 08-19-12, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
6 week old patio pitting 2012

My patio was poured 7-9-2012 just added the deck in the last 2 weeks, but are finding pitting a few feet in front of the deck stair. There is also some in other areas, but not this many. Should the contractor take care of it?? What to do..
I am adding pictures. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank You,
Judy

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-12, 01:15 PM
It looks to be surface scaling, and could be caused by a number of things, all related to the amount of water and fines in the top 1/4" of the mix during finishing. Finishing before the bleed water has a chance to evaporate off is the usual culprit, followed by adding additional water to the surface to make it easier to float and close it up. There is no quick and easy fix, as complete removal and replacement are usually required. Freeze-thaw cycles in your climate will only make the problems worse. If the contractor tells you to just apply a good sealer to "heal" it, he's not being realistic. It's a feeble attempt at evading the simple truth--his crew screwed up, and he wants the problem to go away as cheaply as possible.

As an aside, was the pool there and filled with water when the concrete was placed? I've known inexperienced finishers guilty of using chlorinated pool water to fill their tool buckets, resulting in ruined surfaces similar to yours.

Old 08-20-12, 03:35 AM
It's hard to tell from the photo, but is the concrete slick-troweled? It almost looks like it was burnished with a trowel machine. Exterior concrete in your climate should not be hard troweled. The air entrainment in an exterior northern mix will cause hard troweled concrete to delaminate. looks as if yours has already begun. If it is hard troweled, I'd hate to see it after it's gone through a winter.

Old 08-23-12, 09:58 AM
We wanted a smooth surface, not brush finished, but not too sick to walk on either. They poured then used a hand machine a Screte that (vibrated) floated it roughly 4-5' wide, hand trowel edges of concrete and edge of pool. Used long handled tool to smooth out. Use a large machine on top of concrete that made big swirl circles. It was a hot day mid to high 90's.

Old 08-23-12, 11:00 AM
There's your answer--machine-troweled on a hot day, guaranteed to scale off, especially if "bucket-baptized". Your choices are to either live with it, or ask your contractor to remove and replace it at his cost. He messed up, plain and simple. If he's reputable and honest, he will do it. If not, expect a fight on your hands (or at best, an offer to seal it with some "magic-mender" fluid as I mentioned previously).

P.S. The word is "screed," not "screte." And also, it's never a good idea to smooth-finish concrete surfaces that are likely to be walked on when wet--they will get too slick from lack of friction, making slipping/falling almost inevitable.