Brick floor living room... need help.

Old 08-24-12, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick floor living room... need help.

Long-time lurker here and finally have a reason to register and post. Thanks for the help in advance!

We have a sealed brick floor in our living room. Bought a big shag rug and PVC-COATED POLYESTER non-slip pad to go underneath it.

Over the course of about 4 months, the pad has adhered itself to the floor... not the whole pad, as it pulled off, but left a bunch of itself stuck to the floor.

So far have tried, Goo-Gone, Acetone, Mineral Spirits, Krud Kutter Regular, WD-40, and a few other regular household things. Even when we get the white residue off, there is a darker imprint left behind on the bricks.

The one item that appears to work better than others is Krud Kutter Grafitti Removal. It's not 100%, but is the best of what we've used. We've gone through a box of industrial-strength scrubbie pads in the last few days.

Pics should explain everything... how do I get this stuff off?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-12, 08:58 PM
Sam -

How long after the sealer was applied was the pad placed?

Dick

Old 08-24-12, 09:27 PM
Dick, the floor has been in place and sealed for at least a decade. The pad we put down back in March or so and just took it off a few weeks ago when we took the rug up for a good beating and discovered what had happened. We are renting this house and will be moving out within the month. The house will still be in our possession for several weeks even after we've moved out, so I can attempt any kind of "industrial" process, although if it comes to that, I'll probably be hiring somebody.

It was suggested to me that somehow the PVC coating of the pad has had a chemical reaction with the sealant and the two have bonded... in that case, a traditional muratic acid concrete cleaner might be the only solution.

I've been hoping there is some "miracle juice" out there of the Simple-Green, Ultimate Orange, Goo-Gone, etc... variety that will simply wipe this stuff off, but so far, no joy.

I'm fairly confident that with enough scrubbing, all the white stuff will eventually come off. I usually do about 10 bricks a night while watching American Picker reruns... but the dark permanent marks like you can see in my 3rd picture is what leads me to believe I'm going to end up with the muratic acid wash after the house is empty.

Old 08-24-12, 09:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just guessing. Have you considered renting a commercial grade floor buffer with an abrasive pad? Maybe start with least abrasive and work your way up if needed. Example: 15 Inch Floor Buffer Pads - Cleaning Stuff, Professional Cleaning Supplies For Less

Old 08-24-12, 09:57 PM
Thanks Ray. I have considered that, but the floor is not smooth... it's very rough, like cobblestones. I think the floor would just chew through a buffer pad. It's on my list of things to attempt though, and since I'm in the Navy, could probably "rent" a buffer for the night if I needed to. It's a good thought.

I'm 6'4" and 240lbs, and I have been scrubbing the crap out of the floor with some heavy-duty abrasive pads... I'm leaning heavily that the solution to this issue is in the right chemical. So far, I've been outsmarted by the floor though.

Old 08-25-12, 07:16 PM
Why not try a soft wire wheel on a small (4") angle grinder? Supplemented with a dab or two of solvent for the real stubborn stuff.