Concrete Driveway Resurfacing Products - Or Staining?

Old 08-30-12, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Driveway Resurfacing Products - Or Staining?

I recently paid a few thousand to replace the damaged sections of my driveway/sidewalks but couldn't justify nearly doubling the price tag to replace the upper part as it was in sound, but old, condition. Obviously this resulted in a staunch difference in color.

Do you think it would be a better idea to try to use a resurfacing product to match the new, or to stain the new concrete a darker color to match the old?

I think that I would like to try to resurface if there is something that can resurface to actually look like cement and not a new "finish" like epoxy or whatever -- has anyone used any such products to recommend? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Yes, you could stain the new section. That said, matching the old in looks is going to be tough, I don't think I'd bother. In other words, I might stain the concrete for the look in and of itself but I would not attempt to match the two different slabs.

Old 08-30-12, 11:06 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
I would suggest waiting a year or so before staining. The new concrete should darken a bit and blend in a bit better.
If you don't stain with a solid color, the color difference now might get preserved by the sealant and look different longer.

Old 08-30-12, 12:59 PM
Whether you stain or resurface, you'll have to do the entire driveway if you want it to match. Even if you were somehow able to match it by just doing half, the two halves done with different treatments will age differently and not match in the future.

Old 08-30-12, 08:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you attempted to clean the surface of the existing concrete yet? Purchase an industrial grade cleaner and preasure wash the surface. I have also seen in extreme cases a sand blaster used with a lighter grade abrasive. It still won't get it to the color of new concrete but it may not be too far off. then your staining of all slabs may turn out looking better.

Old 08-31-12, 06:09 AM
Thank you for the responses!

To clarify -- the old surface is 50+ years old so it has a very exposed aggregate look which is kind of charming but shows its age. I understand that resurfacing certainly would not match the color completely, but perhaps diminish the difference between an amber exposed aggregate finish and a nearly white new concrete finish. So it's not just a color difference but a completely different surface as well, and if I stained the new concrete at some point (of if i tried to do a hi-po pressure wash treatment on the old), it would still look very different.

So the verdict is really to tackle the new cement? It looks so.. fresh and beautiful! Going against the grain for just a moment -- are there actually any products that resurface to look like concrete and not like an epoxy or resin? I know quickrete has a resurfacer but when I looked into it it appears to be a different sort of finish. What about the sakrete "top n bond"? Any recs? I really just like to try new things and I'm not overly emotionally attached to perfection.. or to the house. This is a starter/project house for me and believe me anything is better than what I moved in with.

But thanks -- I am taking everything into account and I value opinions of those who have been there before!

Old 08-31-12, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Honestly, from what you've described, I've leave both surfaces alone - for a while, at least.

Old 08-31-12, 02:40 PM
There is a company called Butterfield Color in Aurora, IL that makes a good resurfacer. When brush finished it looks a lot like regular concrete, not epoxy. Do a Google search for them to find a nearby distributor.