Walkway Concrete need options

Old 08-30-12, 12:40 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walkway Concrete need options

Hi all,

Have a walkway with a concrete base. On top is seems like either blue stone or slate. The slate is flaking and chunks have broken off in layers. Previous owner had walkway done years ago. lousy job.

The concrete has sand on top I would assume to have leveled the slate. Concrete is a good 5 inches or more thick.

I rather not breakup the concrete - walkway is about 3 ft wide and 40 ft long.
This would require renting a jack and somehow disposing of the concrete.

Are there options?
Can I go over the current base seems pretty solid. Smooth it out with some type of leveling cement(suggestions).

The current slate/stone slabs thickness are 1 and 1/8 and others which are flaking are 1/4

any ideas would be appreciated. I am pretty handy.

NY

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 06:30 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you don't want to remove the entire walkway, you at least have to get rid of all the lose pieces. If it doesn't present a height problem, you could lay brick over the slab. You would need a wet mix on the edges. If that won't work, you could still rent a jack hammer to cut out the places where the slate is damaged & replace it. Then you would use a Portland & sand mix. The color won't match.

Keep in mind that removing the entire walkway might not be as bad as you think. You would need a jack hammer, 2 day workers & a dumpster or somebody to haul it. There are many people who haul debris these days at a good price because the economy is so bad.

I see that your in NY. If you are near Baldwin call S&M Carting on Sunrise Hwy. They have good prices. You must tell them that it's concrete & not construction debris.