Grout stained the patio pavers

Old 09-11-12, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout stained the patio pavers

Hello,

My handyman installed my patio pavers but I'm installing the grout between the pavers myself. Yesterday I installed the grout but didn't use a clean sponge to clean the pavers everytime I put grout between them. Now the concrete pavers are a little discolored along the sides.

Is there a way to get that grout that I rubbed in off so the paver looks like it's all a solid color?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-12, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Grout? I use sand - never heard of someone grouting the joints.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is a pressure washer but I see that obliterating your joints as well.

Old 09-11-12, 01:04 PM
I tried two different types of made sand (patio and play) and none of them worked. Everytime it rained, the sand would slowly wash away. I think the gaps between the pavers aren't think enough for the sand to take.

Old 09-12-12, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
I wonder if muriatic acid acid would work. The pavers are porous and should have been sealed if grout was used...... but I agree with Mitch, I don't know that grout will hold up long term.

Old 09-12-12, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
I know it does not help you now but any time you are grouting a porous stone or tile the stone/tile must be sealed before grouting. Without sealing, the grout will stain the tile/stone and it is extremely difficult or impossible to remove.

Honestly I think you are really in for it. Especially now that the grout has had at least a day to cure. It will continue to harden over time so anything you try is best done as soon as possible. Most grouts are cement based and really stick well to concrete pavers. Anything to remove it will also attack your grout joints and the pavers. A pressure washer can remove the staining by physically removing the grout & some of your paver. Muratic acid will work in a similar way by dissolving the concrete itself leaving behind the sand. I think both approaches may look worse than the grout stains. I would probably just leave it and live with the stains.

I have had good luck with polymeric sand. It is designed for this specific task so it works very well. You brush it into the joints while it is dry. Sweep off the patio and then lightly mist with water activate the adhesive. It sets up hard and does not wash out even when spraying it with a hose.

Old 09-12-12, 06:00 AM
Where the pavers the classic interlocking concrete pavers that are laid with tight joints(butting together as close as possible with spacer ribs doing the job) or were they the larger (12" or larger)?

The reason I ask is that the concrete in the two types is usually different due to the manufacturing process. The smaller interlocking pavers have a 8000 psi minimum (usually about 10,000 psi) while the larger pavers do usually not have a minimum strength requirement and have variable properties.

Dick

Old 09-12-12, 07:19 AM
Hello. Thanks for the comments. These are 12" pavers. 12 in. Square Stepping Stone Pewter-71200 at The Home Depot I will post a pic of the patio if I have time. Honestly I will probably just live with it as the two colors aren't way off from each other.