Repairing CMU cracks, help!!!

Old 09-14-12, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing CMU cracks, help!!!

How do I fix these?! The house is concrete masonry unit blocks and this room has horrible cracking from settling. You can see through parts of the cracks to the outside. I've been told to use the masonry fixing compound that comes in a tube and shoot that in the cracks to seal them up. I want to see if I'd be better off using actual mortar or something else.
Please advise on how best to proceed.

THANK YOU!

Name:  IMG_20120913_200312.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  19.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Have you had anyone come out and take a look at these cracks? It looks like some horizontal displacement occurred on the one on the right and that concerns me.

Old 09-14-12, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Anything in a tube is just for cosmetic purposes...... and I agree with Mitch, that looks like more than just a run of the mill settlement issue.

Old 09-14-12, 01:36 PM
Corner area of the footing sinking.

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 09-14-12 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-14-12, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with Dick. It appears the corner has sunk and pulled away from the structure above it. The cracks just extended to the most convenient place. Note the offset mentioned earlier. This isn't going to be fixed with caulk, sorry.

Old 09-14-12, 02:07 PM
I just found these cracks, they drywalled over them, I noticed them from the outside but from there it looks like the grout/caulking between bricks has gone bad.

I had someone look at the foundation (two inspectors and one engineer) and they said the house has definitely settled and if I want to keep it from moving further I need to move the water away from the house (gutters are shot) which I plan on doing before winter sets in.

I'm not really sure how you'd even go about fixing that without tearing down half the house.

Old 09-14-12, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Did the inspectors/engineer say all you need to do is remove the water? or did they say to start there and then do something else too? Once the foundation is stable I'd think you could just patch it with mortar..... but I'm a painter, not a mason