Custom outdoor seating and fire pit

Old 01-26-01, 03:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I'm planning an outdoor seating area around a gas firepit. I have an 8' x 8' L-shaped corner that I'd like to put a curved quarter-circle bench with backrest. I want it to tie into other stucco-on-block walls.

I've check into custom precast concrete, but it is ridiculously expensive. So, I'd like to form the curve by using existing blocks or bricks with mortar to smooth the curve, followed by smooth stucco.

My questions: for best stucco adhesion, should I use concrete block, or bricks? or should I use a wood frame & lath, which would allow for smoother curves? any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-01, 12:19 AM
Questions: concrete block, or bricks? Block (cement to cement). If brick, attach chicken wire before stuccoing. Other ideas: cast the bench and/or it parts from concrete yourself. Formwork is simply an inverse mould. A related idea: use ferrocement (layers of tied chicken wire and reinforcing bar covered with a stucco like mixture). If pressure treated wood and expanded metal lath is easier for you, go ahead. For readily available moulds search for garden ornaments, moulds. For more about ferrocement search for ferrocement.

Old 01-27-01, 12:26 PM
I think you should use stucco lath instead of chicken wire. I'm afraid the chicken wire will rust out in a few years. On that same tack, if you use concrete blocks for the structure, there will be nothing that can rust. Mortar (stucco) adheres readily to the blocks is you dampen them.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com