Windows and doors in concrete block construction...

Old 10-24-12, 05:29 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Windows and doors in concrete block construction...

I recently had some windows and doors installed in Florida (hurricane windows and doors) and many of the tapcons that were used to fasten the doors and windows just spin and spin -- and some I can just pull out with my fingers.

The property was inspected and the inspector never touched a screw. He looked at them, but never checked to see if they were in anything...

The contractor is trying to say it's because the blocks are hollow and "that's just the way it is" -- however he is willing to fix it...

I guess my question(s) is/are... is this typical in concrete block construction? Was there something the contractor should have done so the tapcons would have bitten? Anything you can suggest to remedy this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

Old 10-24-12, 07:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tapcons don't work their best in hollow blocks. Some use plastic mollies and screws to hold them in, since all you are worried about is lateral pressure. I would question the fitness of the fasteners for "hurricane" protection. If the windows have a hurricane rating, why wouldn't the method of attachment. May be some of the others have more comments on fasteners in Florida.

Old 10-24-12, 07:58 PM
T
I bet they used the wrong size drill bit. I've done it myself, the bits from one size screw to the next look very similar. Also it's easy to overdrive them and strip the hole if they used an impact driver.

Old 10-25-12, 06:54 AM
O
Ok... here's a plan-of-attack that I thought about... with a question.

I can put in the next size up trimfit tapcons (same head, thicker screw) -- which might solve the problem in some of the holes that are spinning.

In the other holes... is there some kind of epoxy based or liquid (caulk delivered) based compound that can be injected?

Any other thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks!
Pete

Old 10-25-12, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Will the window move in and out if you removed all the tapcons? If not, then you can inject epoxy in the holes and chase it with the original screw. Your idea of the larger screw may work as well. Just go easy and when it seats, walk away. Let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: