Should I do this or not?

Old 01-29-01, 07:30 PM
Loomisman
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a 8x16 front porch that has the brick but the concrete hasn't been poured in the middle yet. It has been filled with dirt up to about 6 inches from the top. I would like a hand rail installed and had an idea as to how to make it stronger(handrail). Since I won't be there when they pour the concrete, should I place two 4x4 posts on the outer longer edges and then remove them after the concrete has dried to be able to put the corner handrails in? It seems that if it's ok to do this, the rail should be stronger this way. Thanks for your thoughts...Loomisman

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-01, 12:57 PM
Embedding the posts will make them more stable but it will promote rot. Radial cracking of the concrete may result if the section around the posts is thinner.

If you can find or make a square PVC plastic sleeve near to the post dimensions: embed it deeply, (surround with concrete and cap or seal the embedded end). This is a reciver socket for the posts. Allow it to extend above the concrete then cut it flush afterward. Reciver sockets are common for metal railings, but I am unaware of similar sockets for wood. Maybe they exist. (Possibly a hollow plastic post). This would be a "press fit" driven home with a sledge hammer.

The other direction: embed 3/4" epoxy coated rebar [does not rust] located at the center point of the post, and extend it through the concrete. Bore the post, flash between post and concrete, then drive the post on. Use angle clips at the base if necessary. This could be done after pouring the concrete, but it's more work and expense.

If possible attach one post to the house, flashing between surfaces.

Old 01-30-01, 06:45 PM
Loomisman
Visiting Guest
2000, Thanks for the reply. I like the idea about the plastic insert receiver type installation. I think I know where to get the plastic inserts. Thanks again...Loomisman