brick face/bondstone

Old 01-27-13, 12:06 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
brick face/bondstone

I am in the midst of trying to find an intermittent leak over my bay windows that has been happening for well over 8 years! Every time a contractor/roofer says they found it I have water leaking again. I am now told that it may be coming from the windows above the bay window roof. But here is my question, we had a light snow that is already melting, but I am noticing random wet spots on the brickface, one is directly under the window, 2 are on either side of the front door directly under the awning and one is right in the middle of nothing, in that there is not window door or ledge nearby, it is sort of free floating. Is water seeping through the brickface, can this problem be related to the leak in the ceiling? I don't know which way to turn, any help would be appreciated. the house was built in 1901, I put a new flat roof on 2 years ago, and the brick face was put up around 1952. I was told it is called bondstone but when I google that I find nothing. Also, the house is attached on one side to a mirror image house with the same brickface and they are not having any problems.

Old 01-27-13, 10:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you might be experiencing water somehow getting behind the brick faces. The usual culprit causing that is lack of (or improper) flashing above windows and doors. Eight years is a long time to have water getting where it doesn't belong. I think you need someone to look at the situation who is acting as a disinterested third party, instead of contractors who are hoping to make money by doing less-than-professional jobs of finding the leak sources.

If you could post a few pictures, it would be helpful for us in trying to help you. Also, do you live in a freezing climate? Ice dams building up on the edge of the roof could be a factor if that is the case.

And welcome to the site.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: