cuting a window in a concrete wall

Old 01-28-13, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cuting a window in a concrete wall

Hi there Concrete Gurus,
Anyone know if I need to support (make a header) cutting into a concrete wall for a window frame?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-13, 08:18 PM
For a very tiny window, with no major loads above it, probably not. Unless the concrete is of questionable quality, and doesn't have any horizontal rebar in it, where it's needed (a few inches above the top horizontal cut). A larger window, and particularly in a wall having heavy applied roof and snow loads acting on it, will probably require a steel lintel supporting the concrete, inset into the wall on each side.

Your window won't be happy if it has to find out the hard way--ouch!

Old 01-29-13, 01:45 PM
thanks, any insight as to steel lintel? My basement has a full load bearing wall and I would like to put a 5' - 6' opening so I think I better find a way to construct a frame. Any suggestions?

Old 01-29-13, 03:53 PM
I believe you need a structural engineer to look at the situation to make sure you have it properly sized. There are still to many questions to try and solve your issue from a keyboard. There is a big difference between load bearing walls so that alone does not define the problem.

One story, two story, 2 story and a roof load, 2 story plus a deck plus a roof load?

length of the floor joist span that is resting on the wall. (a floor with 2x8 joists that only span a 12' room is one half the load of a large space with TJI joists that span 24')

Dead load of the wall above the wall? (is it an exterior foundastion wall over a vinyl sided 2x4 wall or an old home with a full 12" thick masonry with lath and plaster.)

If someone made an assumption on what you have they could easily be off by a factor of 3 or 4.

Not trying to rain on your parade but there are a lot of possible answers and the only one you need is the right one. The question is which is the right one.