Concrete counter maintenance

Old 01-30-13, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete counter maintenance

I'm wondering if anyone has experience and advice for how to maintain a concrete countertop. We moved into our home 6 years ago, the counters were built and installed by the prior owner. So I don't know exactly how old they are, but it's been at least our 6 years with no maintenance other than wiping them down.

Name:  IMG_0720.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  43.6 KB

High use areas (e.g. next to the stove and next to the sink) have a coarse texture, whereas in the corners it feels smooth and polished. Would these need polishing before a sealer? Or is a sealer sufficient? We don't care about the texture, I just want to protect the concrete properly.

In the bathroom we have the same counter on the vanity and in the shower. Are there any problems that might be caused by long term exposure to water, soap scum, and mineral deposits?

Attachment 8591

Name:  IMG_0721.jpg
Views: 2342
Size:  35.2 KB

Obviously, with concrete this isn't a pressing issue needing timely repair. But if there's something I can do to keep it lasting a long long time, I'd like to get it done. And certainly I'd like to keep it all looking as nice as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-13, 01:24 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't like the idea of chemicals near food but you might want to try some diamond wet/dry polishing pads.

Premium Concrete Polishing Pads

Old 01-30-13, 09:04 PM
I'd be tempted to try your local concrete specialty products retailer, sometimes listed under "masonry supplies." It's where the guys who make a living in the CIP counter top business get their supplies, and there might be a product available at same that can brighten up your counters and eliminate the differential staining. While still being safe for food.

I've heard a light soaking with mineral oil might be a solution, followed by wiping and then a light buffing. But I don't know if I heard that in real life, or if I just dreamed it.

Getting old is so much fun. Why is it I can still recite the alphabet backward faster than forward, but I forget what I went to the refrigerator for?