concrete "set up" time?

Old 02-12-13, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
concrete "set up" time?

I'm planning on bolting a 10 ft length of 6x6 lumber vertically (standing straight up) into a column post base bracket like this one LCB/CB Column Base (model CB66)
The bottom base of the post bracket will be embedded into wet concrete formed in a 12" diameter Sonotube, 16" deep. My question is what's probably the minimum amount of time it should take for the concrete to "set up" sufficiently where I can go ahead and install the 6x6? The 6x6 won't be supporting anything soon but I just would like to get it standing up soon as possible. I'll be using just that regular ready-mix type concrete mix that you buy in bags and just add water. Temperatures here for the near future are around 35 degrees F at the lowest. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I always give it 3 days.Throw some hay on it if weather is cold.

Old 02-13-13, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you want to get a quicker set, use the fast setting mix or a 5000 psi mix. Kep the bags in a warm are until you are ready to mix.

Use warm mixing water (not over 140F) to give you a warm a mix as is reasonably possible.

Cover whatever is exposed to the cold air with pieces of fiberglass insulation or insulating blankets (that you be able to rent).

Dick

Old 02-13-13, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Okay. Thanks for those helpful responses.