Brick surface breaking away

Old 02-15-13, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Brick surface breaking away

I have brick steps at the entrance of my home and some of the front faces of the bricks have broken. I realize that this happens from the moisture in the bricks and the freezing temperatures. The broken pieces are intact and I would like to know what material is best to put the pieces back. Can I apply any sealer to prevent the other bricks from breaking? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 09:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think that you'll be able to reuse the same pieces. You would be better off replacing the damaged bricks. I'm not a fan of sealer. If you can post a pic, that might help.

Old 02-16-13, 06:09 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I already took the pieces off and I can fit them back in place. Can they be glued with epoxy or something else or is this a bad idea? I thought that a silicone or other type sealer would prevent moisture from getting into the bricks and therefore prevent this from happening.

Old 02-16-13, 01:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Nothing is going to make those pieces hold the weight. Why don't you want to replace the damaged bricks? What about covering the steps with slabs of blue stone?

Old 02-16-13, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
If you could find some pc7 epoxy at home depot or ace, I'd probably mix the two parts together and then put a very thin coat on each surface with a pop-sickle stick and then press them together. The repair will probably be stronger than the brick was originally. Clean anything that squeezes out onto the surface with denatured alcohol before it cures.

Old 02-16-13, 07:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
xsleeper, that might work if he wants to lay blue stone on top. Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

Old 02-16-13, 09:16 PM
Whatever caused the bricks to break in the first place will probably cause any repaired (or replacement) bricks to also break. Were they cantilevered too far over the risers, perhaps? Correct the cause of the breakage first, before repairing or replacing bricks.

Old 02-17-13, 06:30 AM
Temporarily Suspended
My guess is that the stoop is pitched wrong.

Old 02-17-13, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
My guess is that they used building brick and that the brick cracked at the weakest point of the brick (at the hole) due to either water/ice or inadequate buttering of the bricks (voids in the holes). Possibly cantilevered too far too.

I'd still epoxy them back on for the time being. If the repair lasts, great. If it doesn't, go to plan B.