Concrete block fence repair prior to painting.

Old 02-18-13, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete block fence repair prior to painting.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]I am going to paint a concrete block fence and would liketo fill the mortar joint cracks and the vertical joints which were not mortaredwhen the fence was built. Is it betterto use mortar, silicon sealer, or concrete glue? The fence has a cement skimcoat on one side and I do not want water intrusion to get behind the paint ifpossible.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-13, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Why weren't the joints mortared when the wall was built? How wide are the open joints? A pic or two might be beneficial - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

When painting block, you need to use block fill for the primer. It seals up all the pores of the block so it won't drink so much paint. The block fill isn't needed if the wall is stucco'd. Whenever painting a block fence both sides and the top needs to be painted well. Any moisture that gets inside the block will be looking for a place to come out = peeling paint.

You don't want to use silicone caulk! it's not paintable.

Old 02-19-13, 05:41 AM
The fence is a 55 year old "Dooley Wall" construction which has block posts every 10 feet which are rebared and mortar filled. The fence between the posts have mortar and ladder metal in the horizontal joints but are dry fitted vertically. I want to seal the vertical joints to keep water out. Mortar seems a good pick because of the added strength, but caulk and glue might be a easier fix.

Old 02-19-13, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
If the joints are wide enough to push the mortar in - that would be best, it would be better to use caulking on thin joints. Applying stucco to the whole side would also be a good option. I'm not familiar with concrete glue.

Old 02-19-13, 05:55 AM
Block Fill Primer

Thanks for the painting info. A "Block Fill Primer" search leads to alot of primers I had not thought about.

Old 02-19-13, 06:01 AM
Thanks again. Both mortar and caulking depending on size of crack seems like the right call.