Retainer wall help needed

Old 03-06-13, 11:08 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retainer wall help needed

I started to build a retainer wall out of railroad ties 4 high. Right now they're just 3 high with 5 sections until I get more ties. they are all well secured now with rebar. I didn't want to hand cut the ties or had money for a chain saw so I just stacked them evenly. the wall is to extend my driveway about 4 feet at the widest (rear end) and 1 foot at the shortest (front end). The ground that will be filled over isnt slopped too bad but I can't park on it. The rear part of the wall has about 10 feet between where the wall will be and my garage. I only plan to park my 21' utility trailer there along the garage. I didn't use dead man like I just read that I should have. It's gonna be a real pain in the rear to get the railroad ties up with the rebar in them. Could I just use support post in front of them? What size, how far apart, and how deep should i bury them? I'm starting to run low on cash so keep my wallet in mind on your suggestions. Drainage , wall slope, and backfill have been researched and I understand what to do with those. I just need a little help with my screw up for the support!!!

I've included a rough computer drawing of my area.

I'll add some photos in a little bit.

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-13, 12:09 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I imagine the posts would follow the guide lines of a fence post & have to be down the frost line & no more than 8 feet apart. 4x4s would probably work.

Old 03-07-13, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the posts you install are deep enough to get below the frost line, but the RR ties are floating/heaving above the frost line, I'm not sure going that deep with the posts will provide much benefit. I'm assuming you did use a staggered-stack method, where each subsequent course of ties is offset (about 1-1/2", towards the compacted fill) from the one below it, yes? That, and the rebar pins and mass of the ties should be enough to prevent them from wanting to lean over, without the need for supplemental posts. Placing a layer of washed rock/filter fabric up against the ties will also help, in that doing so will reduce the soil pressure against the back faces of the ties, especially when the backfill is saturated.

Old 03-07-13, 09:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
AS I understood it, he didn't stagger anything. You're right about all of it has to be below the frost line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: