Outdoor Kitchen Island

Old 03-10-13, 05:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Kitchen Island

I'm in the middle of putting in an outdoor kitchen. I plan on covering the concrete backer board with a stone veneer panel made by 'Realstone'. I'm trying to figure if I put in the appliances (grill, access doors, drawers, etc. ) BEFORE or after I install the rock siding. The thickness of the stone panel varies from .8" to 1" so I believe its the appliances first then the stone over and around the 'lip' part of the appliance. I've tried looking at pics on the net but can't confirm.

Need to know for sure as I finish up the framing.

Thanks

Old 03-10-13, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
No matter what, you do not want to stone in the appliances. At some time they will need service or be replaced and if they are permanently in place, it will make for a huge job to fix them.

Old 03-11-13, 01:53 PM
C
Clarification

Does that mean install the stone work and THEN install the appliances so that the 'lip' go over the stone? Or do I install the appliances over the backer board then make sure I don't put stone over that lip?

Old 03-11-13, 03:47 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Do whatever you want, as long as you make sure the appliances can be slid out of position for service work. Treat them as if they are in your (indoor) kitchen. I'd either use all masonry construction myself, or for sure go with pressure-treated lumber for any framework under the backer board.

And don't install any applicances on your flagstone.

Old 03-12-13, 02:10 PM
C
i've framed with 18 guage metal framing. I'll skin the whole thing in concrete backer board then will install the stone veneer. The counter tops will be concrete (which will be another DYI adventure). I think i pretty well have this question answered -- the install sequence for the siding will be: framing, backer board, drawers, doors, etc... then the stone veneer (being careful not to stone in the appliances). If you have any other insights on this project, send them to me. I'll keep checking, asking questions, etc...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: