best repair mortar for old conc floor

Old 03-20-13, 12:18 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
best repair mortar for old conc floor

my basement floor is very old concrete that has a lot of scattered craters from years of spalling,chipping and flaking. i need a good repair mortar that i can float over the crater holes and feather out to the good concrete.

i tried regular mortar which is too soft, i also tried plantop x by MAPEI but this is for overhead applications. seems like the best product might be "mapecem quick patch" by MAPEI

any recommendations for a good "repair mortar"
thanks

Old 03-21-13, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Despite what some manufacturers may tell you, making any mortar repairs that feather-edge down to zero thickness will not be effective. The thin material cannot effectively bond while still providing enough compressive strength when point-loaded--it will spall off. I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned, but have a few general suggestions: always make every effort possible to remove all unsound materials that you want the repair mortar to stick to--"clean enough to eat off of" is what I always told our DOT contractors. A good bonding agent always helps, and I prefer using a neat Portland cement slurry, applied to the damp, parent surface immediately before placing the patch material. And don't forget to give the patched areas some cure, to prevent losing mix water (needed for hydration) through excessive evaporation.

Old 03-24-13, 01:33 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How deep are these holes? If they are under 3/4" there are plenty of polymer modified mortars that can fill them. As already suggested, clean the piss out of the floor, also get the floor damp before applying. You dont want standing water, just darkened from the presence of moisture. Old, dry concrete will suck the moisture out of a patch from below and result in cracking. No matter what you use to cure it.

Next use the patch as your bond coat. Use a still metal brush to work the material into the nooks and crannies of the repair area. Before that has the chance to dry, start to trowel on your patch.

If you want specific recommendations on products, please post how large the holes are and perhaps some pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: