Concrete Patio to Foundation flashing

Old 03-26-13, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Patio to Foundation flashing

I have a contractor who will be installing a concrete patio in the back of my home. The actual concrete patio will be below the foundation sill and only in contact with cinderblocks. Does he have to put a flashing material between the patio and cinderblock? They are both masonary materials obviously. The contractor has told me that he only needs to flash the steps in contact with wood. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Concrete against masonry generally does not require any flashing. Often a strip of expansion joint material is placed between a concrete pour and a foundation wall. It's firm to keep the space filled but it does have some give to absorb expansion and contraction of the slab so it does not push on the foundation.

Old 03-26-13, 11:47 AM
Thank you for your reply - do you have any products in mind for the expansion joint? Thanks!

Old 03-26-13, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Your contractor will know where to get it and it's pretty inexpensive. It's commonly available at most home and building supply places. If you have a home center near you just search their website for "expansion joint" and I'm sure it will pop up.

Old 03-26-13, 12:02 PM
Thanks - should an expansion joint be used for the stairs as well?

Old 03-27-13, 04:33 AM
Expansion joint should be placed between new concrete and any other rigid structure it butts up against. These include metal castings, pipes coming up through the slab, etc.
I prefer poly foam expansion joint. It doesn't deteriorate with weather, and it has a tear-off strip to allow for caulking later.