How to fix textured coating that has been painted over

Old 03-29-13, 08:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to fix textured coating that has been painted over

Yesterday, I had an estimator come to my house to give me a bid to paint the exterior. When he got there, he told me that I had TexCote on my house, but someone had painted over it and now moisture was being trapped in the walls and my studs were probably rotting. He noted hairline, vertical cracks in multiple places all around the house.

Unfortunately, the person who painted over the TexCote was me. I moved into the house 9 years ago and immediately painted over an ugly green color. I had no idea what TexCote was and never thought I was doing anything other than painting a stucco house. This was the first house I had ever owned in California, and I was ignorant.

The question is this: What now? He suggested some sort of hydroblasting that would aerate the walls. Does that sound right?

Before I spend the kind of money he mentioned, I want to be sure that he gave me good advice. I am sick about this. I love my little house, but like many folks in California and around the country, I'm a little upside down in my mortgage, so I hate to put a lot of money into the house...BUT, if the house is really in danger, then maybe I should.

HELP! (and THANKS....)

Old 03-29-13, 09:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I've heard of TexCote, I really don't know anything about it.
I'm not sure why painting it would trap moisture in the wall
Most homes have a vapor barrier under the drywall that keeps moisture from migrating thru the exterior walls. Siding, stucco, etc. is there to keep moisture from getting in the walls from the exterior.

I'd look into contacting TexCote and see what they say before I'd hire anyone to "aerate" the walls ..... if that's even possible. Hydro blasting would remove the paint but there might be a fine line between removing the paint and damaging the stucco.

Old 03-29-13, 10:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I took a look at the TexCote sight and they don't say anything about painting it. Sorry, nothing really to offer beyond what you're already doing; looking for someone with knowledge before proceeding

Old 03-30-13, 05:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I will certainly follow through and get more information before I sink any major money into "fixing" something that might not be broken! Sure appreciate your help...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: