stained concrete acrylic sealer problem

Old 03-31-13, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stained concrete acrylic sealer problem

I spent days preparing my basement floor to apply acid stain. I cleaned, I used a power scrubber, I cleaned some more. I applied the acid stain, it seemed to take well. I then neutralized with baking soda/water and mopped 3 more times with clean water.

Lastly, I used a garden sprayer to apply acrylic sealer. I'll admit, I probably went pretty heavy. When I left, the house stunk (to be expected, at least we're not living there yet), and the floor definately had that wet-look I'd like to end up with.

This morning (about 16 hours later), I returned to find half the floor to have that wet-look. However, the rest of the floor looks like I didn't apply any sealer at all; but I did, just as heavy. Any ideas? I hate to be so close, yet so far away from a finished floor. The wet-look area is literally a solid section of good looking floor. The other part doesn't even have a puddle of wet-look.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-13, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
How long did you wait after mopping the floor before applying the sealer? The section that came out good, was it applied first or last?

Old 04-01-13, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the reply,
I waited about a full 24 hours after my last clean mop before applying the sealer. The section that came out good was the very first area where I applied the sealer.

Old 04-01-13, 05:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the concrete was dry enough unless there were reasons the last area couldn't dry as fast. Is it possible getting tired and breathing the fumes caused you not to do as good a job at the end?

I'm not all that knowledgeable about acid stains and their sealers but there are few members here that are, hopefully they will have time to chime in later.

Old 04-01-13, 11:16 AM
I spoke to the manufacturer, he has been helpful along the way. Basically he told me that the combination of poor conditions (cool temperatures, humidity) and the fact that I sprayed it on thick caused the sealer to soak into the concrete. Which would make sense, it was a rainy and somewhat cold night. The only area that dried to a wet-look was the furthest from the open window.

My main question now is, where can I get equivalent acrylic sealer that doesn't cost $40 a gallon?

Old 04-01-13, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Being retired I'm not real familiar with current pricing but generally with any type of coating - the price is reflective of the quality. A cheaper coating might not produce the desired look and/or wear as well

Old 04-08-13, 05:58 AM
Well, I applied the 3rd and final coat of sealer last night. When I left it had the look I would like, obviously because it's still wet. I'm pretty sure i'll end up with what I had after the 2nd coat of sealer though, many areas with white, milky splotches.

I am done applying sealer, the house has reeked of fumes for long enough. Is it possible that these splotches will go away after it cures for long enough? Will a floor wax of some type help with bringing the sheen back?

For anyone doing this for the first time, learn from my mistakes. Going light is better than going heavy when it comes to both the stain AND the sealer.

Old 04-08-13, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on the reason for the light splotches. Wate rbased sealers often look milky before they completely cure, some will return to the milky look when they get wet - but go back to clear when dry.

Wax will probably help the sheen but you need to make sure it's compatible with the finish and make sure the finish is completely cured before you apply it.

While I know a lot about various coatings, acid stains and their sealers isn't an area where I have a lot of experience