Concrete patio needs HELP!!!

Old 04-06-13, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete patio needs HELP!!!

HELP.... The concrete porch at my new home looks like the previous owners "sealed" it with something which makes it shiny and very slippery especially when wet also has some stains and discolorations. Would love to paint but not sure if paint would stick to the "sealing". Or I have also looked at a product called "RESTORE" which can be used on many surfaces but would like to know if anyone has used and what their opinion of it is, and how it "holds up"
Thanks for any advice or comments!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-13, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Before putting on any other product, the old stuff will almost surely have to be stripped off. This can be done by grinding or with a chemical stripper. Since you are not even sure what the existing product is, it would be impossible for anyone to tell you if the new product is compatible. Failure to strip the existing coating will probably result in failure of whatever you intend to use over it.

Old 04-06-13, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I agree! While some coatings can be painted over, not knowing what is there makes it risky. Once the old coating is removed and the concrete dry, I'd consider using a solid concrete stain versus paint. Stains are less likely to peel, don't need a prime coat and usually recoat well. There also not normally as slick when wet.

btw - welcome to the forums!