Advice in general on using a mixer

Old 04-11-13, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice in general on using a mixer

We have a ton of outdoor work to do on our home, which is on a one acre block. One of the things I want to do is put a number of paths around the back yard, make a few patios, set up a BBQ area, etc, and I've been wondering how much of this I could do for myself by buying a 4-bag mixer. I've only done a little bit of concrete work in the past (I worked in a concrete gang on a hydro dam many years ago, have built some steps in my home and leveled a floor) but I'm not sure exactly how much I can do in comparison to getting a truck in. I mean, can I accomplish in small steps what a professional crew could do with a truck in one or two hits? I don't mean like a driveway, which has to be done in one pour, but areas which I could section off with wooden dividers that could either be lifted out once the concrete has dried or left in place to be tiled over later.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
You can do almost anything with a mixer. It's just a question of how much work and time you want to put into it. Certainly a ready mix truck will get the job done quickly. If using 80lb pre-mixed bag concrete you're talking about roughly 45 bags per yard. If you have help and can have a person mixing, someone hauling and someone else spreading and keep the pour going you can do a reasonable sized area. It's just a lot of labor and time. If working by yourself in the Florida sun you will have to do small areas since the concrete will cure faster, but it can be done.

Old 04-11-13, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks. That's more or less what I thought.