Water on Chimney Interior Wall, wood moist

Old 04-13-13, 05:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water on Chimney Interior Wall, wood moist

Hey,

so, I just noticed some water marks on our interior wall near the chimney. From the pictures you can see the shiny lines.

It is a old house circa 1947 and we have not put a cap on the chimney yet. I guess that is my own fault. Do you recommend using a company or putting a cap on it myself. Granted that its a 1947 peach farm house makes me think the chiney is probably an unorthodox size.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Dont mind the cat. She is the one that alerted me to the issue! Bless her curious nature.

Old 04-13-13, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Lack of a chimney cap is not likely to cause water leaking into the interior of the house. You've got a roof or flashing leak. Does the chimney have a cricket?

Old 04-13-13, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A poorly fitted or absent chimney cap CAN cause interior damage on a wooden chase type chimney. Even block chimneys with bad caps can have water seep between the finish rock and the block. Hopefully flashing will help keep it at bay. The cricket, as mentioned by Bridgeman is all important in keeping a flood of water on the high side from wreaking havoc on the chimney.

Old 04-13-13, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I strongly suspect a 66-year-old, high-end house in Wisconsin will not have a wood-framed chimney chase. Far more likely to be masonry block, with tile flue interior. I spent the first 30-odd years of my life growing up there, and didn't see wood-framed chimney chases until moving west in the 70s.

Old 04-14-13, 04:19 AM
B
So you guys dont think just a chimney cap will do it. The chimney extends pretty high from the roof and the inspector indicated that the roof looked in good condition. The house itself is a mixture of poured concrete and cinder block (what we can tell from the chimney) and the outside is flagstone that needs to be tuckpointed. The chimney is part of the original build.

Old 04-14-13, 04:22 AM
B
In will see if someone can install a chimney cricket and a cap. I hope I do not have to redo the chimney.... we already had to spend every penny in our savings to fix other parts in the house.

Never again will i buy an old house.

Old 04-14-13, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It's all part of being a homeowner. New houses have their share of issues too although many are covered by the builder's first year warranty. New houses generally have better electrical and insulation but often older homes are built better.

Some pics of the exterior might help. Especially the top of the chimney and where it meets the roof ...... if you can safely do so

Old 04-14-13, 05:19 AM
B
I will as soon as it stops snowing...

You heard me right... snowing.

What are the different probably causes. I am going to presume the chimney looks good from far but far from good.

We no longer use the chimney and we dont have fireplaces except for a small one in the basement that... well... we no longer use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: