Retaining Wall - Control/Expansion Joint

Old 04-14-13, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retaining Wall - Control/Expansion Joint

I'm planning/designing a 8x8x16 CMU retaining wall (2' high retaining + 2.5' high wall beyond retaining grade - no slope). There are 2 separate segments. One segment is 72' long, the other is 52' long with a 90 degree corner at 37'/15'. Location = Phoenix, AZ

Question #1: Local code does not require expansion joints. Does this seem correct? Even though my wall segments are less than 80', is there any advantage of having one of my control joints be an expansion joint?

Question #2: Local code requires control joints every 24'. So, on the 52' segment with 90' corner, can I get away with just 1 control joint? If I need to do 2, should I place the 2nd in the shorter 15' section. I know I need to keep control joints 8' from corners, and I'd basically in the middle of the 15' section.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Expansion joints are generally only needed in long walls built of clay brick, not in cmu walls.
CMU walls undergo initial shrinkage (rather than expansion) and need movement control joints. The general approach is to include them every 6-9m, depending on the type and quality of the block, the type of mortar, and conditions during building.
You can get sleeved anchors which are built-in to the mortar joints, and allow longitudinal shrinkage of the wall, but maintain lateral stability.