Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Bricks, Masonry, Cinder Block, Paving & Walking Stones, Asphalt and Concrete
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to properly anchor this onto concrete blocks with existing holes?

Is there a way to properly anchor this onto concrete blocks with existing holes?

Old 04-15-13, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why is the left side fully supported by wood and the right side not? How are you dealing with the gap from wood to concrete? Tapcons are blue. Not sure what you have there.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I have a double window - one top one bottom.

In between the two windows is a metal bar with "I" flanges. I am using 1/4" Tapcons 2-3/4" lengths to anchor the flange. Each side takes 4 screws.

Problem is I was off a tad - by about 3/16" so that bar is not perfectly level, and the window on one side wouldn't fit vertically, it just needs a bit more.

On the left side I am OK the flange is perfect.

On the right side I need to raise this a little.

Problem is I can't drill new holes so close to the existing holes - I tried and the drill bit either end up slipping back into the old hole, or end up making another hole so close to the original hole when I put the 1/4" screw through it becomes a "figure 8" hole.

I tried to drill farther away by putting the drill at an angle but still not much better.

Is there a way to fix this? Obviously the way it's framed I can't choose another spot to drill higher or lower or shift laterally. I don't think I can patch the existing holes with anything that would have any strength - or can I? epoxy? wood dowels? a bunch of tooth picks with glue?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by MiamiCuse; 04-15-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The rough opening was 3" wider than the window frame.

The original window installer put in a 2x8 block which reduced the opening width by 1.5". Now I have +/- 1.5" left which allows me to put two strips of 1x on each side.

Those are Tapcons. They are white Tapcons specifically for window installations because they have a smaller head.

But the problem I have now is I need to drill holes a bit higher and the existing holes are making it difficult.

I hope I don't have to chip out that concrete face just to pack in solid concrete in order to drill new holes.

Old 04-15-13, 08:47 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Whittle some PT wood into small spikes or similar to golf tees size diameter. Stuff the holes with these, lose the tapcons and go with a deck screw. It will bite the wood, compress it into the concrete and should give you sufficient hold for your application.