brick poech

Old 02-07-01, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I am Building my own house. So far I have done well on my own ,however now I have one Question. How do you build brick steps for a concrete porch. My house is in need of a way to get into other than thru the garage door.I have a porch that is 8 ft by 4ft and about 4 ft off the ground a nd this girl cant jump that high. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-01, 09:55 PM
Various ways exist, however, a concrete base is best. Review this process:
http://www.bhg.com/default.sph/home_...___0___8___103

The amount of concrete for the landing can be reduced by partially filling and compacting the box for the porch with a mound of sand/soil and rock. You cannot over compact, but if you under compact problems may arise later. Consider 8" of concrete as the minimum for the sides and landing surface.

The amount of concrete for the steps can be reduced in a similar way but rebar should be added. There should be a slab under the steps with a minimum thickness of 3 1/2- 4" at any given point with 1/2" rebar spaced every 12" apart. No rebar within 2" of any edge. In addition the front portion of the slab is keyed into the soil by digging a shallow trench under the leading edge of the first step.

I can't show you exactly what I mean but note that the slab is 3 1/2" thick throughout.

[code]

\ \___
\ \ |<step
\ \|__
soil \ \ |
\ \|
\

--------------------
__rebar___________ |< 3.5" slab
| |
---------------| | |
| | |<key
|____|

Rebar is tied into the porch also.

[/code]

Old 02-08-01, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink Thank you 2000!!!!

Thank you sooo much I will now be able to build my stairs you are a god sent!!!

Originally posted by 2000
Various ways exist, however, a concrete base is best. Review this process:
http://www.bhg.com/default.sph/home_...___0___8___103

The amount of concrete for the landing can be reduced by partially filling and compacting the box for the porch with a mound of sand/soil and rock. You cannot over compact, but if you under compact problems may arise later. Consider 8" of concrete as the minimum for the sides and landing surface.

The amount of concrete for the steps can be reduced in a similar way but rebar should be added. There should be a slab under the steps with a minimum thickness of 3 1/2- 4" at any given point with 1/2" rebar spaced every 12" apart. No rebar within 2" of any edge. In addition the front portion of the slab is keyed into the soil by digging a shallow trench under the leading edge of the first step.

I can't show you exactly what I mean but note that the slab is 3 1/2" thick throughout.

[code]

\ \___
\ \ |<step
\ \|__
soil \ \ |
\ \|
\

--------------------
__rebar___________ |< 3.5" slab
| |
---------------| | |
| | |<key